Preserving knowledge is important for every organization to grow and continuously improve itself. From explicit knowledge to tacit knowledge of every division and every individual in the organization, they are all valuable assets.
E-learning activities are created to engage participants in keeping up-to-date with the latest skills, knowledge, compliance, and job requirements.
Unlike classroom-style learning, e-learning activities employ learning technology and digital contents in a way that each participant can measure his/her own progress. To make the activities become exciting, there are several ways can be implemented in e-learning management system as outlined below.
Instead of describing learning content in text format, you can add videos (either from YouTube or an uploaded video file), MP3 audio, presentation (either from Slideshare or an uploaded presentation file), and Flash animation.
Assessment is important to evaluate achievement of learning objectives for each participant. Eventually, this will provide feedback for e-learning materials development too.
Assessment can be done using quizzes, surveys, and assignments.
To increase users’ engagement so they can continuously keep progressing in your e-learning activities, you can add various gamification such as:
- Badges: to visually mark the user’s achievement level and it can be associated to user’s completed courses, tests, certificates, and comments.
- Points and Rewards. For every completed course / quiz / assignment, users can earn a certain point. Later, those accumulated points can be redeemed for various benefits.
- Level Upgrade. Based on certain criteria, a user’s level can be automatically upgraded if exceeds a certain point, if completes a certain number of courses, or if earns a certain number of badges.
Telling stories with video increases engagement and triggers social sharing. Reasons you should use video storytelling are:
- Everyone can relate to a story
- Storytelling is more concise than a sales pitch
- Seeing is believing
Using the technique of branching narratives, users can choose a topic to follow or switch plotlines.
Augmented reality expands real environment through digital information on mobile devices where users can point the camera of their mobile device to a real object, then multimedia content or informational content will appear on screen.
It is especially useful when object visualization is necessary. For example:
- To view machine components and identify each part
- To visualize how a machine works
- To rotate an object in 360 degrees
As mobile devices adoption has been common in the era of digital economy, e-learning activities shall extend into mobile app to facilitate microlearning where users can use the app to download a course, go offline, and complete the course offline. When the course is completed, they can go online and the system will synchronize the progress with the server.
As such, your learning contents have to be designed in mobile-optimized user interface.